Getting the pier footers of your project just right might be the most important step in building a safe and secure structure. Even though assembling the FailSafe Pier Footer might take only a few minutes, there is a lot of work that must be done before you snap everything together. Here is just just a little check list for making sure everything is done once, and done right. Remember, work smarter and not harder!
The Safe And Secure Footer Checklist
- Review plans for depth and width of footer per local code requirements of your approved building department plans, or with American Forest & Paper Association, Inc’s Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide based on the 2006 IRC. (http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf)
- Call Miss Utility (http://www.missutility.net/).
- Layout project to determine footer locations.
- Excavate/dig footer holes.
- Call for footing inspection per your local code requirements.
- Place gravel at bottom of excavated footer hole as required by governing building code. This will assist in the final leveling process and drainage.
- Lower assembled tower system(s) into excavated footer hole(s).
- Level the form as required by code on to the previously placed gravel.
- Mix concrete per manufacturer’s specifications and local code requirements.
- Before filling with concrete back fill around the WP Fail-Safe Form Footer at least to the middle of the first tower.
- A reducer can be used as a funnel at the top of the WP Fail-Safe Form Footer system to aid in the placing of the concrete.
- Fill base and reducer with concrete and rod 5-6 times.
- Fill the rest of system with concrete and rod 5-6 times to ensure proper concrete placement.
- Level and smooth concrete at the top of the WP Fail-Safe Form Footer per IBC code 2006 and concrete manufacturer’s specifications.
- Install post connectors per your approved building plans or the American Forest & Paper Association, Inc’s Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide, (based on the 2006 International Residential Code). See ICC to purchase a copy.